"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 20, 2024, 12:54:21 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is my sniper build good?  (Read 4723 times)

Is my sniper build good?
« on: December 14, 2010, 06:35:36 am »

S5 P8 E6 C3 I8 A8 L3 Small Frame Good Natured
Tags: Sm Guns FA Doctor
Perks:
lvl 3: awareness
6: Educated
9: Sharpshooter
12: Lifegiver
15: Bonus rate of fire

My logic to clarify:
5 str - to hold sniper rifle, 8 pe - to have max range after getting sharpshooter, 6 end - I don't understand why people think SNIPERS should have high endurance, if they get close to you, your in trouble as it is, 3 ch - I'm a sniper lol, 8 Int - I like skillpoints xD, 8 Agi - good amount of ap, 3 luck - so i don't fail too often.

Want to be a healer, a sniper is a good healer because they are towards the back anyways. Would also allow some amount of independance

Small frame self explanatory
Good natured because I'm a medic and it's helpful

Awareness so I can pick targets more efficently
Educated because again, I like skillpoints =)
Sharpshooter... duh
Lifegiver, because I see everyone else saying it's important and the extra hp won't hurt
bonus rate of fire is an obvious choice

let me know what you guys think =)

Soaren
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:25:48 am by soaren »

Kanly

• The future is today, worry about it tomorrow!
Re: Is my sniper build good?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 02:14:33 pm »

luck too low to be a sniper, for get crit aiming to eyes you get a multipler to your luck, so low luck is a bad idea for a sniper

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 02:29:29 pm »

Useless LK.
Sniper need atleast 6 (10 for great sniper)

Bantz

• Mao!Mao!
    • Gang VŠB
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 02:31:34 pm »

That character is failing in many ways.
I am presuming that you want to be able to carry some stuff and be able to talk to NPCs.

S5 P9 E6 C3 I6 A6 L6

Traits are fine, keep them.
Perks:
lvl3: Awareness is fine, you might consider Toughness
lvl6: More critical
lvl9: Better critical
lvl12: Lifegiver
lvl15: Sharpshooter, consider another Lifegiver
lvl18: More critical, Sharpshooter if second Lifegiver was taken
lvl21: More critical  

Logic:
11PE in total will give you advantage in sniper battles, you can use cigarettes to boost it to 12.
6IN is enough, you dont need that many skillpoints. Put more skillpoints to doctor then FA, you can use some stimps and super stims.
6AG gives you 8 action points, thats perfect amount.
6LK is neccesary for perks and to get some decent critical chance.

Pure combat builds would look different though.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 05:21:28 pm »

Wait why do I need luck?

Isn't agility more important than luck?

I've seen some posts on the forum advising low luck for sniper, so that seemed about right... not worried about crit as much as just damage and range.

Wichura

• High-Tech Troll
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 05:31:18 pm »

You are doing it wrong.

Try this:

You need luck to get more critical hits, which are, how to phrase this, essence of sniper's life. 1 LK is for crafter/taxi/barter chars, 6 LK for most combat ones (you can take perks like Toughness, More Criticals etc from 6+ LK) and medics, 10 for snipers (and AFAIK for real hardcore medics - with 10 LK you heal everytime to full HP). None other values are used.

You don't need CH for combat char, and if you really have to talk with NPC, you can use Mentants, to get +2 CH for 30 minutes.
Nie biegaj za stadem.

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 05:44:42 pm »

...text, picture

I wouldn't go with 7 pe. atleast take the sharpshooter perk or go for less int and more pe.

Bantz

• Mao!Mao!
    • Gang VŠB
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 05:58:38 pm »

Critcals are source of snipers damage, you wont kill anyone without them. Wichuras build is not good, too little PE and usseless cautious nature are main flaws. Kamikaze trait is wothless, good natured are free skill points. You no longer heal full HPs with 10LK. If you dont need to trade with that build, drop CH to 1 and invest the points to either endurance or luck.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 07:40:58 pm »

ST 5
(Enough for sniper rifle)

PE 10
(Increases your % to hit, and increases your max range of sight)
(Sharpshooter only increases 2pe to RANGE OF SIGHT, and 8% to chance to hi, but remember some weapons multiply PE by 16 others by 8, so either take 9 PE and sharpshooter, or take 10PE)

EN 4
(You're a sniper)

CH 1
(There are a lot of NPCs that will still trade with you http://www.fo2238.fodev.net/wiki/Traders)

IN 5
(Enough SP)

AG 6
(8 AP, enough for a eye shot with sniper rifle, and at first you can do 2 shots with most pistols)

LK 10
(max crits)

Traits good natured - Small frame

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 08:25:34 pm »

Ok, I won't explain why x1 shot sniper sux, and won't say that 12 AP sniper is must have, but still there're perks in-game that simulates more points than any other, Weapon Handling is one of them, it gives to you 3 SPECIAL points if you're not going to loot encounters (you'll have low carry weight), so if you aren't going for 6 ST (Stonewall perk), then make it in your case 2 ST, if you're going to use jet, then 1 ST. More Critical perk just gives you 5% critical chance, it's must have perk for bursters and arm-cripplers, it almost has no effect for double shooting sniper and very small effect on snipers. It equals to 1 LK for standart sniper, so if you're not going to 2nd toughness or x1 BRD on 6th level, then pick More Critical, and this is enough if you're not crippler/burster.
Logically you can see that even with 10 LK and x3 More Critical you'll have only 85% critical chance in the eyes.
While with 8 LK and x1 More Critical, but 12 AP you'll have 2 shots and 89.89% that atleast one of 2 will be critical. I'm not sure how much % gives that x1 MC, don't want to calculate again, but practice shows me that I wasted perk slot on it, and it would be better if I took 2nd toughness on 6th level, screw this more critical.
Focusing build on constant things based on rolls/real life luck is better than maximizing rolls. Making lots HP and x2 shots per once is better than stupidly increasing chance of critical.
5 ST is really useless, 6 is good +8/10 EN, if not 6, then it better be low.
Lifegiver - on 12th level simulates ~6 points, the best damn perk ever in game. It's like Small Frame trait or Good Natured trait which simply can't be ignored.
More Critical - for bursters simulates 5 LK, with base 6 LK it roughly increasing chance to do x1.5/x2/x3 damage in two times, other 2 MCs will increase it in two times again, so x3 MC will make critical bursts x4 times more frequent, while for sniper it equals to 1 LK, it means with this crappy more critical perk your chance to score critical will be increased in 1.07 times (for 10 LK sniper), hell yeah! In 1.07 times! Damn it! You fucking wasting your perk slot just to score criticals in 1.07 times more!
Better Critical - must-have perk for anyone who's going to kill people, can be taken if you have atleast 6 LK, if you have atleast 6 LK it means you're going to kill people, so it worth even for bursters, if torso-critical tables are the same as in Fallout2 for damage multipliers, it'll increase average critical damage on ~30%, while for aimed shooting snipers I don't need to explain what does it mean, because it's obvious, well... you're going to score criticals... of couse you need this perk.
Weapon Handling - just gives 3 SPECIAL points into ST which doesn't give you carry weight, but also can't be reduced by jet, and of couse you simply need jet if you're going for x2 shooting. Yes, you'll have -20% to hit with rifles, but don't forget that 1 ST means you have lots points to spend, and these 20% can be easily negated (if you want to negate them, because shooting with 80% to hit in the eyes on max distance isn't that bad really, if you compare standart build % to the same but with -20% to hit). I just want to say that ignoring such perk as Weapon Handling is the same as not taking Small Frame or Good Natured traits when creating a character. If you're not burster, then weapon handling takes 2nd place in perks by quality, 1st and 3rd is lifegiver, on 12th and 15 levels.
BRoF - you simply has no choice, you need it for x2 shooting.
Toughness - if you can live without awareness (if you're not paranoic) this is the only perk you can take on 3rd level and may be on 6th too, because you won't see this 5% critical chance on practice by shooting heads and eyes, while toughness is passive perk which is always active and works good vs bursts.
Try to make 10 EN, but if you really need 10 PE, then 6 EN is max what you can do, well yeah.. you're sniper, so PE is better for you, simply it's cool when they bursting you, sniper, and you live longer than burster and then shooting 2 times in his eye and, of couse, both crit ^_^ If you don't like being terminator with 244 HP, then ok, take your 6 EN.
perks are obvious: toughness, toughness/MC, BC, LG, LG, BRoF, WH. With 6 EN you'll have only 196 HP. Jet is easy to farm, and 30 minutes is very very long, nuka = 100 caps in JT, 100 caps = every NPC has some caps, farm jet, gather thier little ammount of caps, so you can supply yourself with these 2 drugs. At begin use 10mm pistol (because 10mm ammo is easiest to get, you can't even craft BBs so fast, as you can farm 10mm, Boneyard regulators are very kind, then will give you thier smgs and lots ammo, and also radios). If someone says 1 ST = problems in leveling, no, it's not true, I even took weapon handling on 21st level, because BRoF on 18th will help more and you don't need high skill to shoot in point blank in the eyes of poor molerats.
Oh, and if you want to talk to Sha Enin and other traders, or if you want to have a dog or female merc, then you can spend 1 point on IN instead of 2 on CH, so with 7 IN (+2 with mentats=9) you can have 3rd doc prof and craft mentats for you and provide yourself with permanent +2 CH and live on mentats.
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 08:54:44 pm »

Ok, I won't explain why x1 shot sniper sux, and won't say that 12 AP sniper is must have, but still there're perks in-game that simulates more points than any other, Weapon Handling is one of them, it gives to you 3 SPECIAL points if you're not going to loot encounters (you'll have low carry weight), so if you aren't going for 6 ST (Stonewall perk), then make it in your case 2 ST, if you're going to use jet, then 1 ST. More Critical perk just gives you 5% critical chance, it's must have perk for bursters and arm-cripplers, it almost has no effect for double shooting sniper and very small effect on snipers. It equals to 1 LK for standart sniper, so if you're not going to 2nd toughness or x1 BRD on 6th level, then pick More Critical, and this is enough if you're not crippler/burster.
Logically you can see that even with 10 LK and x3 More Critical you'll have only 85% critical chance in the eyes.
While with 8 LK and x1 More Critical, but 12 AP you'll have 2 shots and 89.89% that atleast one of 2 will be critical. I'm not sure how much % gives that x1 MC, don't want to calculate again, but practice shows me that I wasted perk slot on it, and it would be better if I took 2nd toughness on 6th level, screw this more critical.
Focusing build on constant things based on rolls/real life luck is better than maximizing rolls. Making lots HP and x2 shots per once is better than stupidly increasing chance of critical.
5 ST is really useless, 6 is good +8/10 EN, if not 6, then it better be low.
Lifegiver - on 12th level simulates ~6 points, the best damn perk ever in game. It's like Small Frame trait or Good Natured trait which simply can't be ignored.
More Critical - for bursters simulates 5 LK, with base 6 LK it roughly increasing chance to do x1.5/x2/x3 damage in two times, other 2 MCs will increase it in two times again, so x3 MC will make critical bursts x4 times more frequent, while for sniper it equals to 1 LK, it means with this crappy more critical perk your chance to score critical will be increased in 1.07 times (for 10 LK sniper), hell yeah! In 1.07 times! Damn it! You fucking wasting your perk slot just to score criticals in 1.07 times more!
Better Critical - must-have perk for anyone who's going to kill people, can be taken if you have atleast 6 LK, if you have atleast 6 LK it means you're going to kill people, so it worth even for bursters, if torso-critical tables are the same as in Fallout2 for damage multipliers, it'll increase average critical damage on ~30%, while for aimed shooting snipers I don't need to explain what does it mean, because it's obvious, well... you're going to score criticals... of couse you need this perk.
Weapon Handling - just gives 3 SPECIAL points into ST which doesn't give you carry weight, but also can't be reduced by jet, and of couse you simply need jet if you're going for x2 shooting. Yes, you'll have -20% to hit with rifles, but don't forget that 1 ST means you have lots points to spend, and these 20% can be easily negated (if you want to negate them, because shooting with 80% to hit in the eyes on max distance isn't that bad really, if you compare standart build % to the same but with -20% to hit). I just want to say that ignoring such perk as Weapon Handling is the same as not taking Small Frame or Good Natured traits when creating a character. If you're not burster, then weapon handling takes 2nd place in perks by quality, 1st and 3rd is lifegiver, on 12th and 15 levels.
BRoF - you simply has no choice, you need it for x2 shooting.
Toughness - if you can live without awareness (if you're not paranoic) this is the only perk you can take on 3rd level and may be on 6th too, because you won't see this 5% critical chance on practice by shooting heads and eyes, while toughness is passive perk which is always active and works good vs bursts.
Try to make 10 EN, but if you really need 10 PE, then 6 EN is max what you can do, well yeah.. you're sniper, so PE is better for you, simply it's cool when they bursting you, sniper, and you live longer than burster and then shooting 2 times in his eye and, of couse, both crit ^_^ If you don't like being terminator with 244 HP, then ok, take your 6 EN.
perks are obvious: toughness, toughness/MC, BC, LG, LG, BRoF, WH. With 6 EN you'll have only 196 HP. Jet is easy to farm, and 30 minutes is very very long, nuka = 100 caps in JT, 100 caps = every NPC has some caps, farm jet, gather thier little ammount of caps, so you can supply yourself with these 2 drugs. At begin use 10mm pistol (because 10mm ammo is easiest to get, you can't even craft BBs so fast, as you can farm 10mm, Boneyard regulators are very kind, then will give you thier smgs and lots ammo, and also radios). If someone says 1 ST = problems in leveling, no, it's not true, I even took weapon handling on 21st level, because BRoF on 18th will help more and you don't need high skill to shoot in point blank in the eyes of poor molerats.
Oh, and if you want to talk to Sha Enin and other traders, or if you want to have a dog or female merc, then you can spend 1 point on IN instead of 2 on CH, so with 7 IN (+2 with mentats=9) you can have 3rd doc prof and craft mentats for you and provide yourself with permanent +2 CH and live on mentats.
This.
RavenousRat is the walking game itself - listen to him.
Btw. 12 AP sniper would be only possible for weaker weapons, no Sniper Rifle there :< That's somehow sad.
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 09:02:42 pm »

Btw. 12 AP sniper would be only possible for weaker weapons, no Sniper Rifle there :< That's somehow sad.
Well you can ask your victim to wait till you have APs for 2nd shot from sniper rifle. Or use EW, or .223 pistol or AR, yes, there's not so great range, but if you're going to shoot on 50 hex range, may be you can act like x1 sniper with a rifle ;p But I don't see anything bad in AR or .223 pistol, you can even make one-hander build for .223 pistol and may be even gauss pistol.
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 02:32:39 am »

Okay I am taking rats approach: two shot sniper sounds good to me.

S2 P10 E4 C1 I6 A10 L8

Small frame and Good Natured

Perks: (not in order)
Weapon handling (str to 5 so i can hold sniper rifle)
lifegiver (more hp more death xD)
better critical
bonus rate of fire (-1 ap per shot)
action boy (1 more ap)

Going for a two shot 12 ap build (or rather 11 ap with -1ap per shot)

Do i need action boy if I have brof? should i put action boy in something else?

Let me know how this one is. Would prefer this be my last reroll. This guy is pure combat build. Nothing else matters.

WILL I STILL BE ABLE TO EQUIP PA? (although from what i hear they are impossible to find?) I did not see a requirement on the 2238 wiki for power armor.

thanks

Soaren
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 02:52:45 am by soaren »
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 10:06:50 am »

Don't make even AG, make it 9 or 7, in your case 9, there's nukacola that gives you +1 AG for free with no other stats penalties, so it's like another Small Frame trait. If you're going for x2 sniper you simply have to use jet, action boy is a waste perk, so 2 ST equals to 1 ST, because under jet you'll have -2 ST, so having 1 ST will negate this drug penalty.
Prolly the same about PE (9), but cigs are annoying to get, may be TC reward consist of cigs, but... well if you're not in major gang, then the only way is creating new characters, and if they have cigs in inventory, go to some town hide it and ~deleteself, and repeat this process.
Anyway -1 ST, -1 PE and -1 AG gives you 3 points. 2 can be spent on EN and 1 on LK for 6 EN and 9 LK. If you want to leave 10 PE, then 2 on EN, so you'll have atleast 6 EN. And.. don't take action boy, jet already gives you these 2 perks for 30 minutes, so with jet your character has 7+2=9 perks. -DR won't affect SG aimed shots much, because they will bypass anyway, against bursters you have x2 toughness to compencate this -DR from jet, +as you said you're sniper, may be you can avoid them all.
Of couse you can use buffout to compencate lost ST from jet, but it also negates nukacola because of -1 AG and I'm not talking about character who lives on drugs, especially when buffout need to buy from players or craft with doc alt. Still for 5 ST sniper, it means you'll have 2 ST, so jet will remove only 1 ST, buffout will gives this 1 ST back and remove 1 AG, making buffout simply stats transformation without bonuses, you'll spend 1 more point on AG, to keep it on 10 with nuka and 1 more on ST to have it 2 on buffout, so you spending 2 stat points just to not have these -20% to hit, what isn't reasonable.
About carry weight, 1 ST + small frame = 18, it's more than enough for pure fighting, the only problem that you won't loot whole encounter if you're going to farm, also you better don't use metal armors, while CAmk2/BA is ok with laser/sniper rifle and ammo for it.
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 10:29:26 am »

Prolly the same about PE (9), but cigs are annoying to get, may be TC reward consist of cigs, but... well if you're not in major gang, then the only way is creating new characters, and if they have cigs in inventory, go to some town hide it and ~deleteself, and repeat this process.

Cigarettes can be bought from Neal (Skumm Pit bartender) in Junktown for 100 caps.
See the 08/09/2010 changelog.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 21 queries.