"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 04:18:00 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Common goal for everyone  (Read 5899 times)

avv

Common goal for everyone
« on: November 29, 2010, 03:41:46 pm »

Tl;dr: the game lacks, goal -> it needs one.

The game lacks the slightest goal to reach. You could say that the goal is to level up and hoard stuff, but it isn't because nothing happens if you don't try to achieve them. To prove that there's absolutely no goal is easy: just start the game, log in and see what happens: your char is standing somewhere and if you check back ten days later, nothing has changed. Basically every other game would have some notion that you should do something if you didn't do something for a while. An arrow showing direction, a "game over" message or "you got 5 minutes to do x or else...".
Why's it problematic that there's no goal and it's a sandbox world? Because then it's all the same what world it is. If we don't need to do anything but can do pretty much everything, it's no longer fallout world. It's just a world with fallout graphics and the rpg part in mmorpg fails. I guess the game part fails aswell because you can't lose or win, which is typical in games.

So why would we need a goal? Because if there was something players at least had to do or they could not operate in the game, devs could manipulate our gaming style to match how we should behave in wasteland. I dare to say that most players do not play the way devs had planned, or at least do not act in the game world a real fallout wastelander would act.

An example for a simple goal would be water. If you don't drink, you'll die. If you die in dehydration and respawn, you can't craft, use skills or fight. Where'd you get water? From npc factions or unguarded towns. To get water from guarded towns, you'd need good rep there. The ways to get rep is pretty stupid right now but it can be changed. It should be some favours that the players belonging to that npc faction may benefit. To get water from unsafe towns, you'd have to control the pump or pay a fee to the ones who control it. Now we'd have a goal. If you don't achieve it, you are punished by not getting to participate in every day gaming. You achieve the goal by either playing along with the rules of npc factions or having the firepower or caps to get it.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.

Mars Sultan

• Mandingo
Re: Common goal for everyone
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 04:13:10 pm »

For some players the whole "drop you in this dangerous world with nothing" concept has some appeal - the same appeal that draws the same players to games such as Dwarf Fortress and Wurm. They believe that by undergoing the mind-numbing torture required to master these games they reach a new level of badass that only the fattest of fifth-graders in gym class can aspire to.
Igor Dolvich, Mars Ulrich, Girth Gamer, HOOPWISE98, Bobby Kotick

ARWH. Scummers.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 06:16:41 pm »

I agree, I had discovered the game few days ago and already played 32 hours. Today I didn't play a bit. Why? Because I felt like I'm not achieving anything other than level. I hit lvl 5 or 6, but in rest nothing. I can only kill few in a battle and it only happens when I join guards vs bandits or else I'll be dead as one spray can take you out. SO pretty much what i do is : Die, respawn, get another gun, die again. 2 days ago I had like 3-4 people follow me, we spawned just to get killed by some guy with weird name, we got minigunned . That's all that I do, tbh it's boring with no goal and especially when you don't advance at all. There's nothing to do other than kill npc's even at that it takes ages to be good at .

Also I did try collecting lots of items, but before I reach a town I usually die and lose em' all and when I reach to sell there's nothing valueblae to exchange for . Plus people won't buy junk as I expected at first.

PS : I love the fallout 2 atmoshpere more than fallout 3 and new vegas. That's why I even played 32 hours.. and i'll still do but rarely(talking about FOnline), because there's no GOAL. I mean It would had been so much more better if it had half of the single player in it. Quests etc etc.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 06:23:02 pm by MasacruAlex »

Solar

• Rotator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 06:23:48 pm »

There will be goals. Advancing in your faction, helping your faction control certain places, domination mode ... etc.
Quote from: Woodrow Wilson
If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 07:19:43 pm »

Sounds great. THanks for the headsup :) :-* :-*

Heckler Spray

• former Orphans' member, now in TTT Lawyer Agency
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 07:33:52 pm »

For now, people have to "imagine" (damn, that sounds so Role Play !  :P ) they have a goal. It's not that easy because of the game mechanics, the lack of possible interactions...
More possibilities and more content would help, I agree.

Your suggestion about water (even if it had been already suggested) is really good, avv, it would bring a lot more fun, consistency  and realism in the Wasteland.
Blood is thicker than water.
-------------------------------------

"Surf Solars Seal of Awesome" - "Amazing Music Taste" achievments

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 07:52:41 pm »

There will be goals. Advancing in your faction, helping your faction control certain places, domination mode ... etc.
But what about guys like me that never get in faction?

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 07:55:41 pm »

But what about guys like me that never get in faction?

They suffer because they are playing "faction mod" of FOnline.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !

runboy93

• 'Insanity'
    • MyAnimelist Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 07:57:41 pm »

But they don't want suffer.
They always wanted to be in faction, but everyone kick them out for some reason.

avv

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 08:23:41 pm »

What if player doesn't participate in this? Npc faction rank could be compared to tc: it has some effects if you do it, but nothing happens if you don't do it. The goal I'm talking about here is something everybody had to do at least, so that he couldn't just hang around in his base forever.
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 08:31:34 pm »

What if player doesn't participate in this?
What if playing doesn't participate in FOnline at all? Let's make the game fun for everyone, not only people who play FOnline.
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 08:49:21 pm »

What if playing doesn't participate in FOnline at all? Let's make the game fun for everyone, not only people who play FOnline.

Well some people prefer to be lone wolfers.. and since the goals would be only if you're in a faction it still doesn't please everyone as they'd still not have a goal.

Well they're new goal would be to get in a faction and from there do other goals lol
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 08:59:55 pm »

This game is very hard for loners. Even if not in a big faction, a small group of friends helps allot.

Common goal is to become the most feared PK of the land :D

StuntCat

• Suicidal
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 01:47:19 am »

lol  you're in a post-nuclear wasteland, and you wanna be lonely?

:S 

this is so... so depressing...

:'( :'( :'(

Im gonna find a deathclaw and end with my fonline life....

excuse me...
Remember, boys and girls, a wise man always knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE B****!"
Kanta - Desert Punk

Surf

• это моё.
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 08:45:57 am »

This was just the working title of the game when it started and surpassed it long ago.
It is possible to be a loner, more fun and more difficult, but it gets boring too. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.