"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • April 28, 2024, 04:11:09 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Traits Rethought  (Read 3963 times)

Traits Rethought
« on: January 20, 2010, 09:59:18 pm »

Most traits suck, there's no denying it. So I tried to tweak the existing ones with some that people might consider taking. I haven't covered anywhere near all of them, so please offer your own suggestions.

Chem Reliant - You're a born addict. So long as you keep a steady supply of whatever you're addicted to in your system, you don't suffer addiction penalties or downtime. When you miss a dose, however, you suffer extreme penalties. (Can only move at walk speed + Stats halved + reduce to 1 perception?)

Night Person - Gain 2 action points (Maybe just one?) above base during the night. During the daytime - 2 AP. So someone with 8 AP would alternate between 10 AP and 6 AP. My reasoning behind this was how small the perception bonus is, and how little a different +1 intelligence makes.

One Hander - Increased critical chance (10%), lower AP cost with pistols. Two handed guns totally unusable. Obviously, with one hander you're cutting yourself off from the most powerful guns in the game. This just makes things more interesting.

Skilled - Not too sure. Perks are so valuable I think the reduced perk rate puts most people off. I'd like some input on this one. Maybe one less action point?

Jinxed - Does anyone really use this? If not, maybe increase the minimum critical failure rate to something like 10% for everyone nearby?

What other traits do you guys consider useless?

Gruik

• GROAR!
Re: Traits Rethought
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:13:29 pm »

I don't agree with you in some points...

One Hander => A character who have a lot of Action Points, all critical perks, and a .223 will make a lot of damage and could shoot very very often. Could be usefull.

Skilled => Taking only 5 perks is a big sacrifice, but the gain of points to spend isn't negligible.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 10:51:13 pm »

Skilled is fine. It's like a 2,5 points IN boost. I always take it for my main char. There aren't that many good and working perks you can take anyway, especially without having the ability to choose at later levels. Unless you want to make a PvP powerbuild, I think you're better off with taking Skilled.

Definitely the worst trait ever of all is Bruiser and I had this simple idea for some time:

Currently we have:

Bruiser
Totally useless. If you want 2 more stat points you're better off just deducing them from AG. +2 ST gives at most +2 Melee Dmg (+1 effective damage).

Heavy Handed
A small +4 Melee Dmg Bonus for a big -30% on crit table. Even with six punches a round it's just 12 dmg more.
Would be more useful if the bonus was 4-4 (min-max dmg) instead of just 0-4.

What about we switch the upsides and the downsides of these two traits:

Bruiser
+4 (or more) Melee Dmg Bonus, - 2 AP
More balanced choice, especially with RT combat.

Heavy Handed
+2 ST, -30% on crit table
Big +2 stat points boost but at a big cost.

This wouldn't make these traits great, but surely much better than they are originally. Still, if we're going to re-design traits all traits, then we can think of something better.

One thing however, I never liked the idea that you can take trait like Bruiser or Small Frame and redistribute bonus points into another stat. They are supposed to make you stronger and more agile respectively, not more smart or prettier. There should be some limits in this matter.

Reconite

• I'm a Spore Plant, I swear to god
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 11:51:09 pm »

Chem Reliant needs to be rethought indefinitely. Though your idea seems a bit harsh.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 11:58:26 pm by Reconite »
Quote from: Zogra
THIS IS NOT BETA THIS IS SPARTA

ARWH. Scummers to the end.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 12:06:56 am »

Chem Reliant needs to be rethought indefinitely. Though your idea seems a bit harsh.
Really? I love using drugs, and I thought it was too much in the favour of junkies. The idea behind is that you are fine so long as you keep spending money on drugs - like a real addict, you're constantly taking them to keep yourself going. So long as you have a decent stash, you'll always be fine. The intention was to create a real cycle of addiction, rather than the 'get addicted wait 24 hours logged in' crap we have now.

To be honest, if you're addicted I would like it to function like that - chem addicts (not chem reliants) don't suffer drug downtime (unaddicted players still do). So if you're an addict, you can theoretically never have a stat penalty so long as you keep buying drugs. Obviously, this is to keep players putting money back in the economy.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 10:12:45 am »

Just two things.

Jinxed is a 'must have' one for melee fighters.
Skilled is often used coz' it's nice for some more-selfish builds.

Chem resist/reliant, Sexappeal, bruiser, night person - yes, they suxxx. (Question: if night person lvl up during a night, there's a +2 skillpoint bonus? Drugs like mentats doesn't help). 

Wallace

• "Not a bug. It's a feature"
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 03:53:25 pm »

Yes some traits are crappy

But if we gonna change them now, then will come perks and then hordes of people wil be shouting "Change trait/perk 'Abc' to be doing/adding/dealing ZX not XZ because..." and we got an avalanche

It's not time for it yet imo

craft, Craft, CRAFT! (armors)
sometimes repair dismantle stuff
Roleplay!
...and most of all; DEATH TO NERFING!!!

Crazy

• Drugged Childkiller
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 06:02:57 pm »

I think Chem Reliant is very usefull, i love it! If i could take 3 traits, all my char would have it.
When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk

Member of the Most Hated Faction
TTTLA, for Great Justice !
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 06:10:27 pm »

What about we switch the upsides and the downsides of these two traits:

Bruiser
+4 (or more) Melee Dmg Bonus, - 2 AP
More balanced choice, especially with RT combat.

Heavy Handed
+2 ST, -30% on crit table
Big +2 stat points boost but at a big cost.
That's a huge improvement. Especially heavy handed. It's now like a useful backwards finesse.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 06:16:18 pm »

I agree with chem reliant/resistant being reworked. I always wanted to have a drug addict character but neither of those traits are very useful. I use heavy handed in most of my builds, it's balanced as it is. Jinxed is far from useless when used properly. I think gifted should be brought back but this time with a -10 skill point cost.

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 03:29:24 pm »

what about Kamikase? is kinda useless,  sequence doesn't have any advantage in real time (or have it?)
may be sequence would increase the movement speed or the AP recharging speed?
 i think this Trait would be replaced or reworked.

one handed: it would have the same effects (+15% 1h, -40% 2h) but also i think it would give -1AP only for aimed shoots (with one hander weapons) instead of -1AP for shooting. because fast shoot+bonus rate of fire + one handed = 1 AP for shooting with some pistols. and may be another bonus would be -1AP for reloading

other suggestions:

Bloody mess: same violence effect and also add a bonus to your critical factor (like better criticals perk) by 10%  and add 25% of critical factor bonus when you where hit by a critical.

Gifted: same F2 penalties, but add 3 or 4 stat points instead of 7 (or +1 ST,EN,AG,PE).

"Is it possible for man to conquer his own Karma!? Unless we can find a way to defeat the cycles of time, there is no future for mankind!"
-Desty Nova.

avv

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 03:57:58 pm »

Yay for one hander gunslinger build!
Based on evidence collected from various sources by trustworthy attendees it is undisputed veritability that the land ravaged by atomic warfare which caused extreme change of the ecosystem and environmental hazards can be considered unpleasant, rugged and unforgiving.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.