Necropolis
- 1 (0.6%)
Vaults / Glow
- 8 (4.5%)
other
- 9 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How to avoid death due to a Player Killing phenomen  (Read 1958 times)

Lordus

• So long and THANKS for all the fish!
How to avoid death due to a Player Killing phenomen
« on: November 15, 2010, 04:24:11 am »

This should be a basic guide for begginers. Realize, that players are inteligent and they will find another way how to kill you, but at least, after reading this, you will know basics.

I will update this with some screens later.

1) Player protection game concept

In general, there is not any protection mechanism against other players based on voluntary agreement with fight. It is developers aim, to avoid this kind of in real world unnatural protection and this makes, in comparsion with another MMO, Fonline 2238 more hardcore and uniqe. It is fact, you can disagree, you can protest, but that is all, you can do. For entirety, there were attempts in this way (Parle, temporary unvulnerability), but they were unsuccesfull and generated more gameplay problems than they solved.

On other way, there are places and mechanisms, that are replacing lack of previous kind of protection.

2) Direct protection of players

In wasteland there exist places, that are protected by NPC guards. NPC guards will start action against violator of rule immediately after rule violation, but sometimes it could be too late, because even well guarded places cant resist suicide attack.

Mechanism: if someone attacks you in this place, he will be immediately attacked by NPC guards, but only attacker. Attacker has almost zero chance to survive it. NPC guards, after killing of PK, will loot his stuff from his corpse, if his victim is killed too, guards will loot its stuff too. There is not any way how to get back this stuff and because of this PK developed this tactics:

If it is possible, they kill all NPC guards in that location, so they will defacto eliminate this direct protection. There are places they can do it easier (San Fran tanker), harder (Vault city), or where it is impossible (NCR Bazaar). So if you see guarded city full of dead guards corpses, better to leave.

Other way is that they operates in pair or more players. They know that attacker will die, so they focus on kill in one shot/burst and fast looting by attackers teamate (faster than NPC looting). Because of this, it is almost necessary to use burst (= constant damage than luck based aimed single shot) from one hex (damage is not divided by 3), so you can even with bad burst weapon (submashine guns, combat shotguns, as. rifles, lsw, minugun) do lethal damage. So even during barter with NPC, look around you (move your char to position you can see all entrances to your position, move trade window so it will not block your view,...). If you see danger, somebody is running to you, close trade window and leave place.

Also, they can use places that NPC guards cant reach and eliminate attacker. I.e.: shooting from hotel room windows, but it is not very succesfull tactic (trust me :) ).

If you wear advanced amor (metal or kevlar based) and more than 150 HPs, you should be able to survive attack of 2 PK group (one hex burst and one looter). If PK wants to kill you because of stuff and he is smart, he will not kill you if you stay near any NPC guard (or trader), because guard will loot from your dead corpse your stuff immediately, and PKs teamate will not loot anything.

There are not many groups with more than 3 members that are killing only for stuff because of they will have to split their loot among each one.

List of guarded places with notes: wiki

3) Prevention

a) use town preview (it does not work during TC capturing) and check all entrances to see if there is any activity. Entrace you want to use check at least twice (because of rantom preview positoin). You can see even invisible player in your FOV (field of view). If there is any danger, but you still need to enter location, dont use main entrance and try to use entrace with most possible spawn points, so they could not kill you immediately after enter.

b) dont enter TC location during or soon after capturing. Even anti PK gangs will kill you, because they wil think you are enemy, spy, looter, suicide bomber, in general, they dont think that somebody innocent is so stupid to enter a warzone in the middle of war.

c) use your common or personal information networks (radio, IRC, forum, voice comm, ingame text) to check security places you want to visit, but dont forget, that negative information of enemy presence is not equal to absence of PKs there. Also somebody could lie to you,... .

d) find a help to protect you in unguarded places

e) in unguarded places, some pks will let you go if you dont have any valuable stuff, some will kill you. But if you have CA and plasma, and you are alone, they will hunt you.

f) use tents, even ad hoc created, before you enter city, as a place to secure key to your car, money, armors,... if you dont need them inside

g) if you are able, visit unguarded places at time, where is minimal activity on server. Main PKs activity is based on russian time zone.

h) russian PKs (mostly, but not entirely nicks in cyrilic) will kill you practicaly without any reason, so dont try to negotiate with them

i) if you are killed by PK, dont forget to tag him red, so next time you will know recognize him more easily

j) USE YOUR BRAIN

k) use awareness perk, if you have it. Good PK build for guarded cities could be only at level 3 (he needs one burst), so if you see unknown nick, with bursting weapon in hand, low HPs and his teamate, operating near you, better to leave, if you dont have enough HPa

4) PK zones

New Reno, Fortress, Hub Oldtown and places even in guard city but near NPC traders with good stuff or bank are danegerous. Some of them are regular PKs zone (New Reno, Fortress).

5) Punishment

Join or at least make contact with anti pk gang  (TTTLA, VSB, Hawks) or even alliance and join their crusades against horde of PK. You are welcome.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 04:39:14 am by Lordus »
So long and THANKS for all the fish!
Re: How to avoid death due to a Player Killing phenomen
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 04:57:15 am »

No option for World Map or NCR? 2 of the most dangerous PK places for new players.
20:49:58 • You encounter: Ghoul crazies.
20:50:01 • You were critically hit in the head for 55 hit points, knocked out and had your armor bypassed.

Izual

• Roaming entertainer.
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 09:03:07 am »

Interesting poll. Voted for Modoc, Broken Hills, Reno.
My Youtube channel.

"Another problem is that we listen to the vocal players, who in many cases are wrong-headed."
- J.E. Sawyer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 09:07:14 am »

Downside is PK can also use town preview so they can wait on the world map.

Also beware of thieves when there are other players nearby.
I have seen the following in VC:
1. Thief checks your inventory and tries to steal from you. If he succeeds no need to pk you. If he fails you might shoot him or not.
2. Thief failed, you do have stuff they find interesting. PK comes in with his buddy and shoots you.
3. 3rd guy loots you.

Also beware of door blockers.
Not all spots are marked as such by devs, especially in SF tanker this can be exploited as it seems several spots there aren't marked as such.
I know of the door to the bar and the door to the exit grid.

I have voted BH, Redding, SF tanker.
It's all based upon people's personal experiences and where they go regularly.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 09:10:56 am by HertogJan »
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 12:08:35 pm »

1st - i voted for vault city - at least 3 ways to get killed by npc's if you say or do the wrong thing

2nd - hub - playkiller camping in town

3rd - gecko - got killed there trying to do my own business when a TC fight was going on

vilaz

• #1 Cat's Paw Fan!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 01:27:18 pm »

1. other - NCR: thiefs, suicidal bursters, terrorists, trolls etc.
2. Broken Hills
3. Redding
Polskie Pustkowia http://forum.newfmc.pl
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 01:33:11 pm »

I am missing option for NCR. (suicude bombers, thiefs, PK teams)
Kill them all and let the god sort them out.

Lordus

• So long and THANKS for all the fish!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 02:06:34 pm »

1) this thread is about PK, not about thiefs
2) NCR is relatively well known place for all players .. every advices for guarded towns could be used in this city too
3) Danger in NCR is not generated because of absence of good guards, but because NCR is most visited place in wasteland, players are there often so their chance to get into bad situation is multiplied by time, not by danger of city itself . If i will put NCR into the poll, many players will vote for this and there could be situaion, that Fortress will be more safer than NCR (in the poll) and everyone know it is absurd. Purpose of poll is to help new players to detect dangerous places, not to confuse them.
So long and THANKS for all the fish!

vilaz

• #1 Cat's Paw Fan!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 07:57:43 pm »

What are 3 most dangerous
I think we can easily put thiefs into danger section.
Polskie Pustkowia http://forum.newfmc.pl
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 01:37:38 am »

3) Danger in NCR is not generated because of absence of good guards, but because NCR is most visited place in wasteland, players are there often so their chance to get into bad situation is multiplied by time, not by danger of city itself . If i will put NCR into the poll, many players will vote for this and there could be situaion, that Fortress will be more safer than NCR (in the poll) and everyone know it is absurd. Purpose of poll is to help new players to detect dangerous places, not to confuse them.

I think NCR is a valid option if you are speaking of dangerous locations period.  The fact that NCR is more dangerous than fortress IS absurd and hence thats why it should be an option.  It should exist to remind everyone constantly how lame exploits can be and how fixing it should be a high priority for the devs.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 24 queries.