Author Topic: Making a server with the latest SDK  (Read 3696 times)

Making a server with the latest SDK
« on: February 22, 2017, 12:11:01 am »
Hello, I'm going to make a new server, and I'm looking for a new SDK version.

I downloaded the latest version from the official repository (785), but i can't figure out how to build it into a running server (it wants some cpp files I can't find anywhere). Can you tell me how to build my own server from scratch or direct me to some pre-built clean versions compatible with the latest SDK revision? If there's enough resources given in the repository itself, please explain what goes where and how and etc.

I apologize if this question has already been asked (if that's the case, please direct me to the topic, my quick research turned out with nothing).

Re: Making a server with the latest SDK
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 01:46:35 am »
If your error is something along the lines of "Runtime assert: modules in Common.cpp (176)", then I'm getting the same on the newest SDK revision. That's the error message on Linux, but the Windows one is something like "Assertion Failed! Version 785 File Common.cpp (176) modules" - anyway, it seems to have the same problem however you run it.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think it's simply a bug in the SDK, i.e. revision 785 does not work/the newest version is broken.
The other option is that it won't run anything on it's own, but needs some extra files and configuration to work (perhaps something in the Modules folder, as it mentions modules?). I don't know how to set those up, sorry. For more information on that, your best bet would be checking on Fonline.ru (with google translate if you don't speak Russian).

A previous revision must be working, but I've not done enough testing to find how far back to go to find a working one. The revision history (in English) is available here : https://xp-dev.com/sc/history/76003/HEAD/%2FBinaries%2FServer?page=0

One useful point is that build 604/605ish (from April 2016) is the last one which bundled all the TLA (The Life After) modules with it - so that's quests, Fallout characters, scenery, scripts, interface, objects etc - so that may be most useful for getting something up and running quickly, and learning by reading the scripts.

Soon after build 605ish, they separated the core FOnline engine from the TLA module - so the newest SDK contains the engine, but not the scripts/Fallout/FOnline stuff (they're separately available from https://github.com/cvet/fonline_tla).

For prebuilt snapshots, there's a few around on the forums - I think the one in Raynor009's thread here : FOnline SDK (non repository, direct download link) is the newest one that's ready to go, at Revision 535 (which is a few years old now) - someone else may be able to advise on a better one that's available.

For the fine details of setting up the server, you should be able to read through some tutorials on this forum - it's not my area of speciality unfortunately - but someone will be able to help you.

Hope that all makes sense, and good luck!

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 09:18:25 am »
This might be helpful, based on revision 711.

https://github.com/Tawaruuk/FOnline-Example

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 12:10:34 pm »
Thank you very much.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 08:44:02 pm »
If someone have questions about fresh sdk revisions, feel free to pm me.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:53:20 pm by Skycast »

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 08:57:26 pm »
That will be very useful. Thank you :)

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 09:37:31 pm »
If someone have questions about fresh sdk revisions, feel free to pm me.

Why pm?

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 12:37:36 am »
Why pm?
To not fill topic with unrelated info, but if you want to do it here, i am not against.