Author Topic: Fallout 2.5  (Read 4478 times)

Fallout 2.5
« on: June 28, 2014, 08:56:14 am »
Hello everyone, I am currently in the concept stage in development of Fallout 2.5, hopefully being able to utilize an engine capable of meeting the requirements to create a great game. Here is my idea:

Fallout 2.5

Set in 2263 - 10 years after Van Buren, about 20 years after Fallout 2, 65 years after Fallout Tactics as well as 14 years before Fallout 3 and 18 years before Fallout New Vegas.

The locations include settlements, bases, etc. from Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Van Buren and Fallout Tactics.

The story will center around a war between the BOS/NCR in the Western USA and the rogue BOS in the Central USA.

I am using the following premise from Fallout Tactics:

After defeating the last robots that guard the bunker and destroying the brains that kept the Calculator alive, the squad is asked by the Calculator to join minds with it in order to end the war and bring peace to the world. The squad is given the choice to either destroy the Calculator, sacrifice a character to join with it (although ANY squad mate can be used, the story assumes that the Warrior was the one who joined with the Calculator), or (if he has been kept alive) allow General Barnaky to join with it.

If the character in question had committed unethical acts throughout the game, the new Calculator outlaws discrimination against mutated species (mutants, ghouls, deathclaws and humans) in the name of expediency. For the same reason, it has the Brotherhood's elders quietly assassinated and takes control, planning a similar fate for the Brotherhood in California.

This is my preferred ending for the setting leading up to Fallout 2.5

On with the story...

After the defeat of the calculator (Fallout Tactics) the new BOS, having gathered vast amounts of technology and developed new/powerful weapons with the assistance of Vault 0's vast cache of knowledge and resources, felt the need to make the trip to the Western USA to meet the old BOS. Upon the eventual meeting, negotiations went sour, mainly due to the elders from the old BOS having being assassinated shortly after the meeting and the new BOS (rogue BOS) having accepted Mutants and outsiders into their ranks which the old BOS does not approve of. Hence, an all out war broke out between the two groups. Due to the overwhelming fire power of the rogue BOS, the old BOS was initially pushed back and forced to form an alliance with NCR in a bid to win the war.

The protagonist in the story is living in the town of Sequoia (formed by the inhabitants of the Primitive Tribe, Arroyo and Vault 13 soon after the defeat of the Enclave from Fallout 2) which is roughly between the old Primitive Tribe and the old Arroyo from the ruins of the original town of Eureka with the help of the GECK (Garden Of Eden Creation kit). Soon after the destruction of the Poseidon oil platform the FEV (Forced Evolutionary Virus) mutated from the resulting nuclear fallout/radiation caused by the nuclear explosion and having travelled to the Western USA through the prevailing wind currents. Soon after, the inhabitants everywhere in the region are infected, with various effects. The scientists from the old BOS and NCR are unable to find a cure and ask the Chosen One for help. 20 years have past since The Chosen One from Fallout 2 disappeared in a quest to find a cure for the mutated/modified FEV. The hero of the story is asked by the town elder to track down and follow any possible leads in a bid to find a cure/solution.

During the course of the game, war breaks out between the old BOS and the rouge BOS, the hero of the story must travel into previously uncharted/unknown territory (Van Buren) in hopes to find an answer.

Anyway this is just an idea I have been mulling over recently.

I just started studying for a Bachelor of Digital Media at Central Queensland University and going to specialize in 3d animation. I also have a strong interest in game development.

Any feedback, advice or ideas can be helpful.

Re: Fallout 2.5
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 11:08:53 am »
I'm working on Van Buren so I guess you will be able to reuse some of our stuff. Good luck with your game!

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 03:34:34 pm »
Thanks. It will be great to share resources and stuff.

At the moment I am about halfway translating the .msg files from Russian to English. I am using notepad++ and Google translate to do the job, together this gives me 90-95% translation, some words are in common or slang so it cannot translate. It is enough so I can understand and play the single player campaign in Fonline.

In regards to the Fonline engine, is it possible to port the squad based interface from Fallout Tactics into it so you can control the different player characters? It will be awesome if you can control and manage them instead of sitting back and relying on NPC scripting to do its job.

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 04:56:59 pm »
FOnline Tactics was using tactics critters and some mechanic, look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjA2wBU10z8

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 09:55:13 am »
In regards to the Fonline engine, is it possible to port the squad based interface from Fallout Tactics into it so you can control the different player characters? It will be awesome if you can control and manage them instead of sitting back and relying on NPC scripting to do its job.

I think this will be possible in the future, the GUI is slowly being transferred into open-source and not hardcoded as it was.