"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • September 29, 2024, 12:32:26 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Upgrading Pip-Boy  (Read 2106 times)

Upgrading Pip-Boy
« on: February 03, 2012, 06:14:57 pm »

Hi!

I suggest that for some caps (or whatever else) a hacker NPC would upgrade the Pip-Boys firmware/OS to his custom modded version which would:
- have a clock displayed on the hud
- have a funcion to add TODO lists and alarm clock
- have a unique encoded ID to identify yourself through radio channels (with a function to turn it off) - meaning that players listening to your voice on radio would see your name

Marko

• Treeman say map unsafe.
    • Updating the 2238 wiki
Re: Upgrading Pip-Boy
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:21:40 pm »

Ding-dang excellent idea. I like it. But will vote "no" if you add automatic updates from Wastelandsoft and O/S activation keys.
Be patient with me. I'm from the USA so my English isn't very good.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:51:48 pm »

- have a unique encoded ID to identify yourself through radio channels (with a function to turn it off) - meaning that players listening to your voice on radio would see your name

Brilliant idea! Must have!

Wallace

• "Not a bug. It's a feature"
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 08:33:12 pm »

craft, Craft, CRAFT! (armors)
sometimes repair dismantle stuff
Roleplay!
...and most of all; DEATH TO NERFING!!!

Wipe

• Rotator
  • Random is god
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 06:42:34 pm »

Pip-Boy modifications are on todo list since a few months already.

Games are meant to be created, not played...

Eternauta

• Beyond repair.
    • Crazy 88 Official Forum
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 07:28:44 pm »

Interesting quotes, Wipe.

If I can add something, about PB taking input from other sources than holodisks, we should remember that in Fallout 2 the Chosen One could download information (it was updated information about the region, because it added the location of several towns) from a vault terminal in Vault City.

And in Fallout 1, the Overseer told the Vault Dweller to give a report about what (s)he had seen during his travels. Perhaps, the PB was able to create new archives instead of just reproducing those from holodisks.

In New Vegas, Elijah has remote access to the Courier's Pip-Boy, and Ulysses is able to send him a very short message. However, these characters did not own Pip-Boys themselves (not sure about Elijah right now), so this remote access was only possible thought some other technology (both characters had access/were located in places with advanced Pre-War technology).

Also, allow me to bring some other interesting quotes:

Quote from: The Vault, "Pip-Boy 2000"
The Pip-Boy holds a surprisingly large amount of information and can transfer data to and from holodisks and from data tubes. It displays information in bright green on its black 5" x 3" screen. It can record sound and video footage for later playback.

Other features include a buddy chat program, timer and alarm function, cabling extensions to motion sensors as well as a personal log system, reading material storage and even simple games.

Input is slow, but a patient user can master hand-entering and editing text messages on their Pip-Boy 2000s.

Clues
In the Pip-Boy which belonged to Vault Dweller, this button is broken. Its name was visible only in the Fallout demo, and the demo's files revealed that it was intended to keep track of various clues the player receives, much like a journal.
[/quote]

!!!

("can transfer data to and from holodisks", "hand-entering and editing text messages") - After reading this, my personal opinion is that we should be able to create texts with our Pip-Boy, just like we can do with a Holodisk. If you create a text with a Holodisk, it remains there and anyone can upload the info to their Pip-Boy. If you create a text with your Pip-Boy, you get a new entry in your Archives, which you can download to an Empty Tape. And also, it would be really nice if we could edit and delete our archives.

("record sound and video footage")Way I see it (not sure if this is what the devs thought), when we create texts in Holodisk, those can be either text archives or audio logs. Working on a "in-game winamp" for audio logs would be a waste of effort... And the video part can just be ignored, unless devs are able to make our Pip-Boys show screenshots (if PB can record video, it has a camera, right?) but this is probably too crazy.

("buddy chat program") - This is interesting but would bring some complications: it could make radios useless, it could lead to flooding, etc... However, I remember people have suggested a global chat should be implemented, and I think it was implemented in Desert Europe. Way I see it, if something similar to a global chat is to be implemented, this little bit of Fallout lore could provide some "sense" to it :P

Marko

• Treeman say map unsafe.
    • Updating the 2238 wiki
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 06:53:28 am »

Buddy Chat: you and a buddy stand near each other and one of you opens the buddy chat sync, which prompts the other to confirm, much like the open trade prompt. Then you both can go to NCR and comm like radio but on closed private channel (encrypted by PB).

Holodisks: if you have an entry in Archives called "Test Entry" and you write a new tape also called "Test Entry" and upload it to PB, you should get a prompt to agree to overwrite the existing one. Last year, the same tape could be written multiple times in PB archives each with same name with no overwrite option, making duplicates.

Anyway, thanks Wipe - this all sounds really great and i'm looking forward to using whatever new options you provide.
Be patient with me. I'm from the USA so my English isn't very good.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 21 queries.