"Wasteland is harsh"
Home Forum Help Login Register
  • March 29, 2024, 10:56:25 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Play WikiBoy BugTracker Developer's blog
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: List of other FOnline engine based games  (Read 36045 times)

JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
Re: List of other FOnline engine based games
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2013, 01:42:35 pm »

What for? Create clean sdk it is work for few hours, anyway who cant clean sdk cant do anything usefull based on sdk  ;D

Cleaning up AND making a version of SDK that doesn't actually suck.

Which means more generic scripts that anyone would like in SDK to make their own things easily.
Nobody needs 20 Russian quests and fancy replication video in SDK, what is needed are generic
useful solutions which can be reused in different games.

"What for? Create clean sdk it is work for few hours" - won't even comment this, if concept of
reusing code and spending time on something productive instead is too hard for you...~
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 01:44:57 pm by JovankaB »

Mayck

• Rotator
  • ...shhhh...
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2013, 01:44:56 pm »

Wrong, "something original" will be interesting only for existing community because they bored of same sarvers/maps but new players come to fonline expect "canon fallout online" not some unknown shit with fallout graphics. I know it because this data was collected by me and few my friends in real life from guys who played fallout but never heard about fonline.
I think you got me wrong again... I was talking gameplay-wise, not setting-wise. And I don't think that 2238 is what traditional fallout player imagines under "canon fallout online" (atleast not gameplay-wise) ;)
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2013, 01:49:48 pm »

I think you got me wrong again... I was talking gameplay-wise, not setting-wise. And I don't think that 2238 is what traditional fallout player imagines under "canon fallout online" (atleast not gameplay-wise) ;)
Looks like now you don't understand, it is not even about settings or gameplay , for start they expects fallout 1 & 2 world and atmosphere.

"What for? Create clean sdk it is work for few hours" - won't even comment this, if concept of
reusing code and spending time on something productive instead is too hard for you...~
Ok, i will ask from other side, for who? For random guys which want play small coop with 2-3 players? They can download old Wipe's clean sdk which is pretty good, anyway they dont need "new cool features" from fresh sdk ;D For other developers? They dont need this.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 01:58:58 pm by Skycast »
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2013, 02:26:30 pm »

Skycast does have a really important point, but we dont want to create a fonline server for players unfamiliar with fonline/fallout in the first place. All the devs are long time 2238 or generally fonline players and we just want to create our own game, from fonliners for fonliners so to speak, trying to fix things that we think should be fixed without taking the classic 2238 2 approach. I don't want to sound like 2238 would be complete shit or anything, but it's just where most of our motivation comes from. Everyone can agree that 2238 is not a "pvp server" but rather a "pve server that also has pvp". While there's nothing wrong with that approach, we try to go into another direction.
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2013, 02:36:14 pm »

Dont like idea of splitting fo community even more, instead of trying to attract new players, but anyway good luck :D.

JovankaB

• Rotator
  • JovankaB
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2013, 02:36:17 pm »

Skycast does have a really important point, but we dont want to create a fonline server for players unfamiliar with fonline/fallout in the first place. All the devs are long time 2238 or generally fonline players and we just want to create our own game, from fonliners for fonliners so to speak, trying to fix things that we think should be fixed without taking the classic 2238 2 approach. I don't want to sound like 2238 would be complete shit or anything, but it's just where most of our motivation comes from. Everyone can agree that 2238 is not a "pvp server" but rather a "pve server that also has pvp". While there's nothing wrong with that approach, we try to go into another direction.

On your place I would try to make a game for gamers not "fonliners" or even Fallout fans.
I don't think you will get far with such mindset (I don't think anyone will, including 2238), but good luck :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:38:38 pm by JovankaB »

Shangalar

• Dictatorial Tyrant
    • Generation Fallout
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2013, 03:13:39 pm »

Well, you guys don't have enough information yet, debating about AoP is kinda worthless and we don't want to do it here. What John just meant may look a bit exaggerated as anyone will be able to play the game, tutorials are planned to help even the most unfamiliar player. But to understand clearly some of our main decisions, players need to know 2238 enough indeed. Don't worry though, it's not necessary at all to play the game and enjoy it as much as the others. Concerning game content, you'll get all the information on our blog, just be patient while we're working. Whatever gamestyle you like, you should find to eat and to drink on AoP.

Dont like idea of splitting fo community even more, instead of trying to attract new players, but anyway good luck .

Skycast, we believe that in order to attract new players, something big has to change. I think we both know that there is no other possible way. If you wanna wait more years hoping for change, have fun. We bet on something else and we spend all our energy on that. Hopefully we'll get something great out of it.
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2013, 03:28:27 pm »

More servers is a bad idea, it is plausible whether that will attract more players, but it's more likely that it will just split the existing community.

I call it the Xenom syndrome.

New stuff, new servers, new ideas and what for if none of the previously set goals were never achieved?

Skycast, we believe that in order to attract new players, something big has to change.

There is this flaw, that people just re-invent a wheel that way. Solutions and concepts which are successfully applied in practice, shouldn't be scrapped, forgotten or replaced.

Same thing has been happening to 2238 for a long, long time, stuff works good, but hey someone of course has to change something, why? That is supposed to attract more players?

More like something big has to happen, not change.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:38:30 pm by T-888 »

Shangalar

• Dictatorial Tyrant
    • Generation Fallout
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2013, 03:52:12 pm »

We don't agree with your point of view, we don't believe that any issue can be fixed at all if it's related to the most main design points. We'll try to prove our point of view, it will just be up to you to come and see if your opinion changes or not. I bet you could be quite surprised.
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2013, 03:56:51 pm »

The thing about splitting the community is true, and it's unfortunate. But at the same time, if you disagree with the direction that some project is taking, you have only two choices: shut up and play, or make your own server. I can perhaps make minor suggestions, and I may or may not be able to join an existing dev team and try to steer the project in my way. But if what I want is a complete overhaul of the whole server, it's not going to happen unless I do it myself.

You might say that all fonline devs should join forces and create an awesome super-server, and everyone will be happy. But of course that's just wishful thinking, because most fonline devs are in disagreement about what exactly constitutes a good server. In fact, that single property might be the one thing that turned them into devs to begin with: they all wanted different things.

The fact that there are quite a few different fonline projects going on, and even more have been attempted (and failed) in the past, it says two things to me:

1. It's very hard to make a successful fonline server.
2. Not everybody is content with the existing servers and what they can offer.

Perhaps it's naive, and obviously I'm biased, but I believe we are on to something promising with AoP and that there's a chance that we'll beat the odds and succeed where others have failed. And if we do, we might just end up uniting a community that is already split, and bring fresh blood to a scene that has had far too little far too long.

Time will tell. Most importantly however, we're doing it because it's fun. Not all of it, but enough that we want to continue despite the odds.
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2013, 04:07:09 pm »

we don't believe that any issue can be fixed at all if it's related to the most main design points.

Not sure what even that means, main design points, I guess you have improper judgement on where you stand at all.

Shangalar

• Dictatorial Tyrant
    • Generation Fallout
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2013, 04:20:39 pm »

By main design points I mean the choice of the worldmap size, the number of cities, cities' maps, whole TC system, whole faction system etc.
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2013, 04:38:09 pm »

Rotfl, I don't think where does that "community will split zomg disaster" shit comes from, but it's really funny.

More servers = more possibilities. You don't like one server, you switch to another, well, nobody says you have to play on *only* one server anyway. One is too harsh for you, try another, easier or more suiting your expectations.

What is the most likely behavior of a totally new player?
"Oh well there is FOnline: 2238, I'll try it! [...] Wtf, it's too difficult bla bla I can't do shit without a group of people [...] Any alternative? No, ragequit + DEL"

I'm not going to explain why starting on 2238 is very difficult for a fresh player (while reasonably easy for someone who played a bit), I'm sure you know why.

Stop thinking about fonline community as a constant number of players. It *could* have much more players if there were any alternatives, but there are none. Many people who aren't satisfied with what 2238 is, and failing to find an alternative, simply switch to other games.

I still don't get why everyone wants to make a huge online server. This will fail, I can guarantee this.
Thanks for a big piece of advice, I'm not buying it.

Good luck to you with your projects, I hope there will be something playable and enjoyable soon in the nearest future.

Lexx

• Rotator
  • Mexican Apple Thief
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2013, 05:25:08 pm »

FOnline coop isn't much easier. It's still a hell of a work. But the people want to make their own huge projects to be better than others. They would, if they would work in great teams, and give it time. The best method to finish FOnline projects is good old step by step.

Do you know how much time we are spending on discussing what feature is too much absuary and what feature will never be a reality, because players will just bend the rules anyway? Or how many things are cool on paper, but when many players are inside it, it's turning into a big pile of shait.

Also like Mayck wrote, just look at how many FOnline server projects had been started and how many are still here with a reasonable amount of active players.

A coop game at least is something new and I do think that it is possible to make a *real* coop CRPG, unlike Jovanka says. I am pretty certain that it is possible to create a cool game in such an enviroment (which is not a simple hack&slay). I've discussed this already a few times in various places and I do have a ideas to solve the most important issues in a way that playing the game with more than one player doesn't become a great clusterfuck.

Jenova

• Rise
    • FODE
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2013, 05:33:26 pm »

I know what I talk about, because I develop for years too, and also created Fallout 1 coop alpha stage, but don't mind me and keep on the discussion. ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 23 queries.